Sunday, September 21, 2025

Learn Korean Greetings & Introductions

 Why Learn Korean Greetings First? Greetings are the foundation of communication. In Korean, the way you greet someone shows respect and sets the tone for your conversation. Since Korean is a language deeply connected to culture and relationships, learning greetings is the first step to speaking Korean like a local.

Watch the Video


1. Saying Hello in Korean

There are two common ways to say hello in Korean:

  • Polite greeting: 안녕하세요 (annyeonghaseyo)

    • Use this with strangers, teachers, elders, or formal situations.

  • Casual greeting: 안녕 (annyeong)

    • Use this with close friends, people your age, or younger people.

💡 Pro tip: If you’re unsure which to use, always start with 안녕하세요 (annyeonghaseyo). It’s safer and shows respect.


2. Polite vs. Casual Speech in Korean

Korean has two main speech levels:

  • Polite speech (존댓말, jondaetmal): Shows respect and politeness. Essential in most everyday situations.

Casual speech (반말, banmal): Friendly and informal. Used only with close friends, family, or younger people.


Example:

  • 안녕하세요 – Hello (polite)

  • 안녕 – Hi (casual)

👉 Using casual speech with strangers or elders can sound rude, so learn to use 존댓말 first.


3. Saying “Nice to Meet You”

To politely say “Nice to meet you”:

  • 만나서 반갑습니다 (mannaseo bangapseumnida)

    • 만나서 (mannaseo) = to meet

    • 반갑습니다 (bangapseumnida) = I am glad / happy


4. Introducing Yourself in Korean

To say “My name is [Name]”:

  • 제 이름은 [Name]입니다 (je ireumeun [Name]imnida)

Examples:

  • 제 이름은 지민입니다. (Je ireumeun Jiminimnida) – My name is Jimin.

  • 제 이름은 이든입니다. (Je ireumeun Ideunimnida) – My name is Eden.


5. Saying Where You’re From

To say “I’m from [Country]”:

  • 저는 [Country]에서 왔어요 (jeoneun [country]eseo wasseoyo)

    • 저는 (jeoneun) = I

    • 에서 (eseo) = from

    • 왔어요 (wasseoyo) = came

Examples:

  • 저는 미국에서 왔어요. (Jeoneun migukeseo wasseoyo) – I’m from the USA.

  • 저는 캐나다에서 왔어요. (Jeoneun kaenadaeseo wasseoyo) – I’m from Canada.


6. Example Dialogue

Here’s a short natural conversation in Korean:

A: 안녕하세요! (Annyeonghaseyo – Hello!)
B: 안녕하세요! 처음 뵙겠습니다. (Nice to meet you.)
A: 제 이름은 지민입니다. 만나서 반가워요. (My name is Jimin. Nice to meet you.)
B: 저도 반가워요. 저는 미국에서 왔어요. (Nice to meet you too. I’m from the USA.)

Try practicing this dialogue with your own name and country!


7. Quick Self-Introduction Summary

Here’s your mini speech in Korean:

  1. 안녕하세요. – Hello.

  2. 만나서 반갑습니다. – Nice to meet you.

  3. 제 이름은 [Name]입니다. – My name is [Name].

  4. 저는 [Country]에서 왔어요. – I’m from [Country].


Final Thoughts

Congratulations! 🎉 You’ve just learned the basics of Korean greetings, polite vs. casual speech, and self-introduction. These phrases are the perfect way to start practicing real conversations.

👉 Watch the full video lesson here for pronunciation and practice:
Greetings & Introducing Yourself – Talk Korean Like a Local

감사합니다! (Gamsahamnida – Thank you!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

New Podcast Episode: Korean for Beginners #1 – My First Day in Seoul Hello everyone!  I’m excited to share the first episode of my Korean...